Thursday, April 5, 2012

Arapaho (anonymous - 19th cent.)


Arapaho Ghost Dance Songs
by Arapaho (Anonymous)
(19th Century) Timeline


Primal/Tribal/Shamanic : American Indian

19th Century



I
How bright the moonlight
how bright the moonlight
as I ride in with my load of buffalo meat.

II
My father did not recognize me.
Next time he saw me he said,
You are the child of a crow.

III
I am looking at my father
I am looking at him
he is beginning to turn into a bird
turning into a bird

IV
They say
the spirit army is approaching,
the spirit army is approaching,
the whole world is moving onward,
the whole world is moving onward.
See, everybody is standing, watching.
Everybody is standing, watching.

V
The whole world is coming,
a nation is coming, a nation is coming.
The Eagle has brought the message to the people.
The father says so, the father says so.
Over the whole earth they are coming.
The buffalo are coming, the buffalo are coming.
The Crow has brought the message to the people,
the father says so, the father says so.

VI
My children, my children,
it is I who wear the morning star on my brow,
it is I who wear the morning star on my brow.
I show it to my children,
I show it to my children.


No comments: