Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thomas Rain Crowe

RENDERINGS OF HAFEZ
.
Wake up Winebringer! And pour me a glass of wine.
Throw dust on the head of this sad earth man.
.
I’ve taken off my snazzy blue coat and bare-chested
I clutch this full cup.
.
Even though the rich or the politicians call us “trash,”
To us their blue blood or fame means nothing.
.
Give me more wine! All their dust blowing around in the wind of pride
And desire is as worthless as a hole.
.
The smoke from my burning heart
Gags all those with ignorance as their goal.
.
My mad heart has a secret
That no one knows.
.
The Beloved has stolen even the sweet solitude from my heart,
And I am content.
.
No one who has ever laid eyes on this silver-limbed Cypress,
Would ever go looking in the woods for a cypress again.
.
“Hafez,” the voice of inner wine will say;
“Be careful what you ask for, you may just get what you want."

No comments: